Guidance and Counselling
Guidance and counselling are two important concepts of psychology that people cannot easily discern because they both seek solutions to problems and work for human development.
Although guidance is the focus on listening to the problem, on which the expert provides a ready-made solution. Counselling aims to discuss and understand the problem, to advise and empower the person to decide in one-to-one sessions about his / her career or life goals.
Psychology is a discipline in which human behaviour and mind are studied. It tries to ask questions about the reason behind the behaviour and thinking of an individual.
After completing this section the learner will be able to:
- Understand the significance and scope of guidance and counselling
- Explain the basic concepts in guidance and counselling
- Have a basic understanding and knowledge required for guidance and counselling
Guidance Definition meaning and synonym
It is a type of advice or assistance to students in particular matters. Such as choosing a course of study or career, work or vocational preparation, from a person who is expert in the field. A person is provided guidance, supervision or direction for a particular course of action.
The aim of the process is to make students or people aware of the correctness or incorrectness of their choices. The process also tells them about the importance of their decision, on which their future depends. Guidance leads to self-development and helps a person to wisely plan his present and future.
Pilotage, lead, leadership, guidance, hegemony, headship, direction
A piece of advice provided for resolving a problem, given by someone who is in authority.
“she always looks to his mother for guidance”
|synonyms:||advice, information, counsel, direction, instruction, teaching, counselling, intelligence|
Guidance Meaning in Hindi
नेतृत्व, मार्गदर्शन, दिशा निर्देश (disha nirdesh)
How to Pronounce guidance in british english
Definition and Counselling meaning
The term counselling is defined as a speech therapy in which a person (client) freely discusses his / her problems and shares his / her feelings with the counsellor who advises the client or helps him/her to deal with them. It aims to discuss personal or socio-psychological problems that cause emotional pain or mental instability that makes you feel uncomfortable.
admonishment, conferable, referral, consultation, counselling
Counselling meaning in Hindi
उपबोधन, परामर्श (Paraamarsh)
Levels of Counselling:
In day-to-day life, you may have noticed that the term counselling is being used informally to refer to any kind of information-seeking interaction including appraisal of a person for careers. It may be useful to understand that there are different levels of counselling as shown in the box given below.
It is generally rendered by a person who may be approachable and understanding, but may not be professionally qualified. This empathetic person could be an aunt, uncle, friend or colleague.
It is the help provided by specialists of other areas like teachers, doctors, lawyers, religious preachers who, along with their respective specialisation, also wish to handle psychological problems. They try to provide alternative ways of dealing with the problems of people they come across in their daily interactions at work.
Professional counsellors are the ones who have received special training in counselling and have the required. These counsellors deal with the person’s social, emotional and personal problems. In the counselling process, a professional counsellor may use different techniques.
Qualities of a Counsellor
Key differences between guidance and counselling
The following points contain significant differences between guidance and counselling:
- Guidance is known as guidance or a relevant piece of information by a superior in order to solve a problem or overcome a problem. Counselling refers to an individual’s professional advice to help him overcome personal or psychological problems.
- Guidance is preventive in nature, while counselling is usually curative, curative or remedial. Guidance helps the person choose the best option. But counselling tends to change the perspective, helping him or herself to find the solution.
- Guidance is an integral process; it has an external approach. Counselling, on the other hand, focuses on the in-depth and in-depth analysis of the problem until the client fully understands and overcomes it.
- Education and career issues are guided, while counselling is provided when the problem relates to personal and socio-psychological problems.
- Guidance is provided by a guide who can be a superior person or an expert in a specific field. In contrast to advice provided by counsellors who have a high level of skills and have undergone professional training.
- Guidance can be open, so the privacy level is lower. In contrast to counselling, complete secrecy is kept.
- Guidance can be, for a person or group of people.
Counselling, on the contrary, is always one to one.
- The guide makes the customer’s decision in guidance. Unlike counselling, where the counsellor empowers the client to make his own decisions.
- Introduction to Guidance and Counseling
Guidance and Counselling Pdf
Prepared by Auma OKUMU
African Virtual University
Some counsellors work with people of all ages for vocational and career counselling.
Schooling can also bring about adjustment problems for children. A child may have problems with academic achievement, with peers or with parents. Counsellors who deal with such difficulties are school counsellors.
They are specialists who work with parents, children and other family members. Family counsellors deal with specific issues that arise due to conflicts between family members or between generations. They also deal with the behaviour problems of individual family members.
They deal with different issues or problems related to marriage, counselling for marital and before marriage issues, or for personal compatibility, close relationships and counselling for couples.
Life Skills Trainer:
In today’s world, many people may need assistance in the course of everyday life on account of stress at home or in the workplace. For instance, a well-adjusted young person may want to become proactive to optimise his or her potential.
Counsellors for Child Guidance:
Some counsellors work with children and are child guidance counsellors.
It is clear that guidance and counselling are two different terms after reviewing the above points. The objective of the guidance is to provide solutions whereas counselling is to find problems, work on them and then solve them. However, both the process tries to solve the customer’s problems by involving both the customer and the expert.